20% Carbon Dioxide / Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture
A Member of The Linde Group
Carbon Dioxide 20%, Oxygen 80%,
Medicinal gas, compressed
using this medicine.
• Keep this leaflet as you may need to read it again.
• If you have further questions, ask your healthcare professional (doctor, nurse or pharmacist).
• This medicine has been prescribed for you.
• Do not pass it on to others as it may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
• If any of the side effects become serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your healthcare professional immediately.
1. What is 20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture and what is it used for
2. Things to consider before use
3. How to use 20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store 20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture cylinders Medical Gas Mixture cylinders
6. Further Information
1. WHAT IS 20% CARBON DIOXIDE/OXYGEN MEDICAL GAS MIXTURE AND WHAT IS IT USED FOR
20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture is a medicinal gas mixture, supplied in cylinders filled to a high pressure.
The most common use of 20% Carbon Dioxide/ Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture is during medical tests and investigations.
2. THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE USE
20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture is only given to you in a hospital or clinic under the supervision of a healthcare professional. Ensure that your healthcare professional is aware of any medical conditions that you may have.
• you have a chronic lung disease such as bronchitis.
• you are taking other drugs that affect your breathing.
• it is taken with anaesthetic agents, as using these together can affect the normal rhythms of the heart
• you have accidentally taken Paraquat (a type of weed killer), advise your healthcare professional before using this medicinal gas mixture, as there is a possibility of toxic effects to the lungs
20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture should not be used with adrenaline or similar drugs.
20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas mixture can affect other medicines in the body, including those taken for treating high blood pressure and muscle relaxants.
If you have been taking or prescribed Bleomycin (to treat cancer), Amiodarone (to treat an irregular heartbeat) or Nitrofurantoin and similar antibiotics (to treat infection), advise your healthcare professional before using this medicinal gas mixture, as there is a possibility of toxic effects to the lungs.
Tell your healthcare professional if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture will not affect you or your baby if used during pregnancy or whilst breast feeding.
You may drive and use machines after using 20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture providing that your healthcare professional considers that you are both fit and capable.
3. HOW TO USE 20% CARBON DIOXIDE/ OXYGEN MEDICAL GAS MIXTURE
Instructions for use
Your healthcare professional will ensure that your 20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture supply is suitable for your use and that the equipment has been set up correctly so that you receive the right amount of gas.
When you are given your 20% Carbon Dioxide/ Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture it will be supplied via a facemask.
If you have any further questions on how this product is used, ask your healthcare professional.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines 20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture may cause side effects, although not everybody will get them.
The side effects which may occur are:
• feeling sick
If you experience any of these side effects, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, contact your healthcare professional immediately. You can also report side effects directly to the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) via the Yellow Card Scheme www. mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard and to BOC Healthcare. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE 20% CARBON DIOXIDE/ OXYGEN MEDICAL GAS MIXTURE CYLINDERS
20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture should not be used after the expiry date stated on the batch label on the cylinder.
Product should be used in strict rotation so that cylinders with the earliest expiry date are used first.
Cylinders should be securely stored, in a well ventilated, dry and clean area, away from oils, greases, flammable materials and sources of extreme temperature.
The healthcare professional in the hospital or clinic will be responsible for making sure the cylinders are stored correctly.
DO NOT SMOKE or have a naked flame near your 20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical gas mixture cylinder. The oxygen will make a flame burn much more violently.
NEVER use oil based moisturising creams with your cylinder equipment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
Your cylinder contains 20% Medical Carbon Dioxide and 80% Medical Oxygen.
There are no other ingredients.
20% Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen Medical Gas Mixture is supplied in the following size cylinders:
Size Contents Size Contents
AV 1530 L 7650
The shoulder of the cylinder is colour coded grey and white. The body is colour coded light green.
Shoulder of cylinder viewed from above
Body of cylinder viewed from the side
All cylinders require separate pressure regulators to be fitted to the cylinder valves before use.
Marketing Authorisation Holder and Manufacturer BOC Ltd
The Priestley Centre
10 Priestley Road
The Surrey Research Park
Tel 0800 1 11333
This leaflet was last approved in 02/2016