5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture
A Member of The Linde Group
Carbon Dioxide 5%, Medical Air 95%,
Medicinal gas, compressed
using this medicine.
• Keep this leaflet as you may need to read it again.
• If you have further questions, ask your healthcare professional (doctor, nurse or pharmacist).
• This medicine has been prescribed for you.
• Do not pass it on to others as it may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
• If any of the side effects become serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your healthcare professional immediately.
1. What is 5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture and what is it used for
2. Things to consider before use
3. How to use 5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store 5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture cylinders
6. Further Information
1. WHAT IS 5% CARBON DIOXIDE/AIR MEDICAL GAS MIXTURE AND WHAT IS IT USED FOR
5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture is a medicinal gas mixture, supplied in cylinders filled to a high pressure.
The most common use of 5% Carbon Dioxide/
Air Medical Gas Mixture is to stimulate breathing air after a period of non-breathing such as after anaesthesia.
2. THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE USE
5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture is only given to you in a hospital or clinic under the supervision of a healthcare professional. Ensure that your healthcare professional is aware of any medical conditions that you may have.
• you have a chronic lung disease such as bronchitis.
• you are taking other drugs that affect your breathing.
• it is taken with anaesthetic agents, as using these together may affect the normal rhythms of the heart.
5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture should not be used with adrenaline or similar drugs.
5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas mixture can affect other medicines in the body, including those taken for treating high blood pressure and muscle relaxants.
Tell your healthcare professional if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture will not affect you or your baby if used during pregnancy or whilst breast-feeding.
You may drive and use machines after using 5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture providing that your healthcare professional considers that you are both fit and capable.
3. HOW TO USE 5% CARBON DIOXIDE/AIR MEDICAL GAS MIXTURE
Instructions for use
Your healthcare professional will ensure that your 5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture supply is suitable for your use and that the equipment has been set up correctly so that you receive the right amount of gas.
When you are given your 5% Carbon Dioxide/
Air Medical Gas Mixture it will be supplied via a facemask.
If you have any further questions on how this product is used, ask your healthcare professional.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, 5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture may cause side effects, although not everybody will get them.
The side effects which may occur are:
• feeling sick
Reporting of side effects
If you experience any of these side effects, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, contact your healthcare professional immediately. You can also report side effects directly to the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) via the Yellow Card Scheme www. mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard and to BOC Healthcare. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE 5% CARBON DIOXIDE/AIR MEDICAL GAS MIXTURE CYLINDERS
5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas Mixture should not be used after the expiry date stated on the batch label on the cylinder.
Product should be used in strict rotation so that cylinders with the earliest expiry date are used first.
Cylinders should be securely stored, in a well ventilated, dry and clean area, away from oils, greases, flammable materials and sources of extreme temperature.
5% Carbon Dioxide/Air Medical Gas mixture is supplied in the following size cylinders:
Size Contents Size Contents
AV 1350 L 6750
The shoulder of the cylinders are colour coded bright green. The body is colour coded light green.
Shoulder of cylinder viewed from above
Body of cylinder viewed from the side
All cylinders require a separate pressure regulator to be fitted to the cylinder valve before use.
The healthcare professional in the hospital or clinic will be responsible for making sure the cylinders are stored correctly.
DO NOT SMOKE or have a naked flame near your 5% Carbon Dioxide 95% Air gas cylinder.
NEVER use oil based moisturising creams with your cylinder equipment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
Your cylinder contains 5% Carbon Dioxide and 95% Medical Air.
There are no other ingredients.
Marketing Authorisation Holder and Manufacturer BOC Ltd
The Priestley Centre
10 Priestley Road
The Surrey Research Park
Tel 0800 1 11333
This leaflet was last approved in 02/2016
BOC: Living Healthcare