Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment 26% W/W Gel
Please read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this product.
This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to use it carefully to get the best results from it. Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
1. What Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel is and what it is used for
2. Before you use Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel
3. How to use Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel
6. Further information
• Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel is a treatment for warts and verrucas.
• Warts and verrucas are small excessive growths of skin caused by a type of virus. Warts often occur on the fingers, or on the back of the hands. You can recognise the common wart by the rough ‘cauliflower-like' appearance of the surface. Verrucas occur only on the sole of the foot. They can be painful, and often look like a small white ring of skin with black dots in the centre. The virus is very infectious. This means that warts and verrucas can grow and spread, particularly if left untreated. The virus can also be transferred to other parts of the body or from one person to another (see Section 6 for guidance on how this can be avoided).
• Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel is suitable for use by adults, the elderly and children aged over 2 years. Children under 12 years should be treated by an adult and treatment of infants under 2 years is not recommended.
• The active ingredient in this product is salicylic acid.
• The active ingredient works by:
• softening the hard skin growth, making it easier to remove with a pumice stone or emery board;
• helping to kill the virus that causes warts and verrucas.
Do not use Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel
if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to salicylic acid
or any of the other ingredients of Bazuka Extra
Strength Treatment Gel listed in Section 6.
• Do not use the gel if you have diabetes or suffer from poor blood circulation to your hands or feet.
• Do not use the gel anywhere on or near your face, armpits, breasts, areas of folded skin, bottom or genital (sex) area.
• Do not use for the treatment of corns and calluses.
• Do not use the gel on birthmarks, moles (especially pigmented moles), warts with hairs growing from them, facial warts or any other spots. If you are unsure whether you have a wart or verruca that is suitable for treatment with Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel, ask your doctor or pharmacist before starting treatment.
Take special care when using this product:
• Apply the gel carefully, to the wart or verruca only, by squeezing the tube very gently:
• take care not to apply the gel to surrounding healthy skin, especially on young children's delicate skin, because when used incorrectly it may cause irritation or pain;
• do not apply excessive amounts of gel.
• Keep the gel away from your eyes, nose, and mouth, and from broken skin, cuts and grazes.
• Avoid spillage as this may cause damage to you, your clothing and your possessions (see Section 4):
• do not fold the tube because this may damage it and make it leak.
• The product is volatile and highly flammable.
Do not use it near flames or ignition sources (eg burning cigarettes or anything else that might ignite it).
• Avoid inhaling the vapour from the gel.
Using other medicines
This product is not known to affect, or to be affected by any other medicines.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before
using this medicine.
Driving and using machinery
Using this product is not known to affect your
ability to drive or use machinery.
3. HOW TO USE BAZUKA EXTRA STRENGTH TREATMENT GEL
Only use on warts and verrucas, on sites for which it is recommended.
Before you use this tube of gel for the first time, open it as follows:
• Find a suitable surface, in case of accidental spillage.
• Hold the tube upright, with the cap uppermost and the base resting on a suitable surface.
• Unscrew and remove the combined white and red nozzle/cap assembly from the tube.
• Remove the red collar and dispose of it safely.
• Keep the tube upright for 30 seconds.
• Then, without squeezing or over-gripping the tube, and with it still held upright and away from your face:
• replace the white and red nozzle/cap assembly onto the screw thread of the tube (take care to avoid ‘cross-threading');
• tighten the nozzle/cap assembly firmly to pierce the top of the tube;
• briefly loosen the red cap (to release any slight pressure in the tube) and then retighten.
• Please note that once in place, a small gap will remain between the base of the nozzle/cap and the top of the tube.
To use the gel (adults, children and the elderly):
Follow these steps once every day, usually in
the evening. Carry on using the gel in this way until
the wart or verruca disappears:
A. Soak the affected area in warm water for 2 to 3 minutes.
B. Dry the area thoroughly, using your own towel if you have a wart or verruca (this will help stop the infection spreading to other people). This towel should be used for the affected area only.
C. Taking care to avoid squeezing the tube, remove the protective red cap, leaving the white nozzle attached to the tube.
D. Carefully apply a thin coating (one or two drops) of the gel to the top of the wart or verruca only:
• avoid the gel spreading to the surrounding healthy skin. If this does occur, wipe it off straight away with a tissue, and, if necessary, wash the area;
• allow the gel to dry for a few minutes to form a small white patch that sticks to the treated area and is water resistant;
• there is no need to cover the treated area with a sticking plaster;
• always replace the protective red cap after use;
• wash your hands after touching warts or verrucas.
E. The next evening, carefully peel or pick off the white patch of dried gel from the wart or verruca:
• apply fresh gel as described in steps A to D above;
• if removal of the white patch is difficult, carefully re-apply the gel directly over it and leave it to dry. This will thicken the white patch and make it easier to remove.
F. Once every week, before applying fresh gel, gently rub the wart or verruca with the emery board provided, or a pumice stone. Do not let anyone else use the emery board or pumice stone as the infection may spread to them.
G. The length of treatment will vary depending on the size and resistance of the wart or verruca:
• some may go in a relatively short time;
• some warts and verrucas can require up to 12 weeks treatment before they disappear;
• it is important that you do not give up on the treatment until the wart or verruca has disappeared (unless irritation occurs, see Section 4 below);
• if the wart or verruca worsens during treatment, or has not disappeared after 12 weeks, ask your doctor for advice.
H. At the end of treatment, if the white patch is difficult to remove, you can leave it because it will eventually fall off by itself.
If the gel accidentally gets into the eyes or mouth, it may cause damage. Rinse the eyes or mouth with plenty of water. If rinsing one eye, take care to avoid washing product into the other eye. Then seek urgent hospital attention.
If you inhale a lot of the vapour from the gel it may make you feel light-headed. If this happens, get plenty of fresh air.
If you forget to use Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel
Do not worry if you occasionally forget to use this product, just carry on using it when you remember.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Like all medicines, Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel can cause side effects although not everybody gets them:
• While the gel is working you may feel a slight tingling sensation and/or some mild tenderness at the treated area. This is usually temporary, and in rare cases may appear as a temporary blemish on the skin.
• If you mistakenly allow the gel to spread onto and remain in contact with areas of normal skin (see precautions in Section 2), it may cause irritation.
• If you spill the product on your clothes, fabrics, jewellery or metal and polished surfaces it may damage them permanently.
• Stop using this product and tell your doctor or pharmacist if:
• you experience unacceptable discomfort or if irritation persists, or
• any of the side effects get serious, or you notice any other side effects not mentioned in this leaflet.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
• Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
• Do not use Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel after the expiry date shown on the fold of the tube and on the carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Always replace the cap tightly after use.
• The product is highly flammable. Keep it away from flames or ignition sources.
• Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
What Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel contains:
The active ingredient is salicylic acid 26.0% w/w. The other ingredients are camphor, povidone, pyroxylin, ethanol, acetone and isopropyl alcohol. What Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel looks like and contents of the pack The product is a clear colourless gel.
The product is available in a tube containing 6g of gel. The tube has a special applicator nozzle. Each pack also includes an emery board.
Warts and verrucas can spread to other parts of the body, or to other people. To help avoid this:
• Always wash your hands after touching warts or verrucas.
• Keep the emery board provided, or a pumice stone, and a separate towel for use on the affected area. Do not use them anywhere else, and do not let anyone else use them.
The Marketing Authorisation holder is Diomed Developments Ltd, Tatmore Place, Gosmore, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4 7QR, UK.
The Manufacturer is Aeropak, Viking Road,
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31 0NU, UK.
The Distributor is DDD Limited,
94 Rickmansworth Road, Watford, Herts,
WD18 7JJ, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in
To listen to or request a copy of this leaflet in Braille, large print or audio, please call free of charge: 0800 198 5000 (UK only).
Please be ready to give the following information: Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel 00173/0405 This is a service provided by the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB).