Beechams Chesty Cough Oral Solution
and relieves a chesty cough. Glucose liquid and treacle soothe and protect the surface of the mouth and throat to relieve their symptoms.
Chesty Cough Oral Solution
Guaifenesin, Glucose liquid, Treacle
Please read right through this leaflet before you start using this medicine. This medicine is available without prescription, but you still need to use Chesty Cough Oral Solution carefully to get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet you may need to read it again.
• If you have any questions, or if there is anything you do not understand, ask your pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What this medicine does
2. Check before you take this medicine
3. How to take this medicine
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store this medicine
6. Further information
1. What Beechams Chesty Cough Oral Solution does
This medicine is used for the short term relief of the symptoms of dry, tickly or scratchy coughs and sore throats. The medicine contains three active ingredients. Guaifenesin is an expectorant which loosens phlegm
2. Check before you take this medicine
□ Do not take this medicine:
• if you have ever had an allergic reaction to
guaifenesin, glucose liquid, treacle or to any of the other ingredients (listed in Section 6).
• if you are taking other cough or cold medicines or a cough suppressant.
Take special care with this medicine
• If you have diabetes mellitus. Each 10 ml dose contains 6.68 g total sugars.
Ask your doctor before you take this medicine
• If you have a chronic cough or asthma.
•If you are on a controlled-sodium diet. Each 10 ml dose contains 9.6 mg of sodium.
> If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars.
Pregnant and breast feeding
Talk to your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
| Adults and children aged 12 years and over:
| Take 10 ml (two teaspoonfuls) every 2 to 3 hours as needed.
• Do not give to children under 12 years.
• Do not take more frequently than every 2 hours.
• Do not not exceed the stated dose.
If your symptoms persist, see your doctor.
Like all medicines, Beechams Chesty Cough Oral Solution can have side effects, but not everybody gets them.
Stop taking the medicine and seek immediate medical help if you experience:
• Allergic reactions which may be severe such as skin rash and itching, sometimes with swelling of the mouth or face, shortness of breath or collapse.
These reactions are rare.
The following side effects may occur. Stop using this medicine and consult your doctor.
• Upset stomach, nausea or vomiting.
• If your cough lasts for more than 5 days or comes back, or is accompanied by a fever, rash or persistent headache.
If you do get any side effects, even those not mentioned in this leaflet, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
5. How to store this medicine Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not use this medicine after the 'EXP' date shown on the pack.
Use within 6 months of opening.
Active ingredient Each 5 ml of medicine contains Guaifenesin 100 mg. Glucose liquid 3 g and Treacle 1.35 g.
Other ingredients Deionised water, Macrogol 300, Glacial acetic acid. Sodium benzoate (E211), Capsicum tincture (contains ethanol). Sodium metabisulphite (E223), Aniseed oil, Xanthan gum, Levomentnol, Camphor, racemic. Sodium cyclamate, Acesulfame potassium. Liquorice aniseed flavour and Caramel colour (E150).
Sodium benzoate (E 211) and sodium metabisulphite (E 223) may rarely cause severe allergic reactions and breathing difficulties.
Packs of Beechams Chesty Cough Oral Solution contain 100 ml or 160 ml.
The marketing authorisation holder is GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare, Brentford, TW8 9GS, U.K. and all enquiries should be sent to this address.
The manufacturer is Wrafton Laboratories Ltd, Wrafton, Braunton, North Devon, EX33 2DL, U.K.
This leaflet was last revised in April 2011 'GlaxoSmithKline