Benylin Mucus Cough Honey & Lemon Flavour 20mg/Ml Syrup
PACKAGE LEAFLET: INFORMATION FOR THE USER
Honey & Lemon Flavour 20mg/ml Syrup Guaifenesin
Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to use it carefully to get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
• Contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve within one week.
• If any of the side-effects gets serious, or if you notice any side-effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What the medicine is and what it is used for.
2. Before you take this medicine.
3. How to take this medicine.
4. Possible side-effects.
5. How to store this medicine.
6. Further information.
Benylin Mucus Cough Honey & Lemon Flavour 20 mg/ml Syrup is used to help relieve chesty coughs.
• guaifenesin (an expectorant) to help loosen mucus (phlegm) from the lungs and make it easier to cough up.
This is a non-drowsy formulation. The medicine is for use in adults and adolescents aged 12 years and over.
• are allergic (hypersensitive) to guaifenesin or any of the other ingredients (see Section 6 and Section 2).
Take special care with this medicine
Talk with your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if you:
• have had a cough for more than one week or your cough recurs or is accompanied by a fever, rash, or persistent headache.
• have a persistent cough that may be caused by asthma.
• have a cough which brings up a lot of mucus (phlegm).
• suffer from severe liver or kidney problems.
• are taking alcohol.
Always tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, or have recently taken, any other medicine, including medicines obtained without a prescription. It is not recommended that you take this medicine with other cough medicines intended to stop you from coughing (antitussives or cough suppressants) as they may interfere with the action of this medicine. Some urine tests may be affected if taken within 24 hours of taking this medicine. Tell the doctor or nurse taking the urine sample that you are taking this medicine.
You can take this medicine with or without food or drink.
Contains approximately 2 g of sucrose per dose. This should be taken into account in patients with diabetes mellitus.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
• If you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant, tell your doctor or pharmacist. This medicine should not be used during pregnancy unless advised by a doctor.
• Do not take this medicine if you are breast-feeding until you speak with a doctor or pharmacist.
Driving and using machines
It is not expected that this product will affect your ability to drive or operate machinery. However, if you do feel unwell, do not drive or use machinery.
Important information on some of the other ingredients in this medicine
Benylin Mucus Cough Honey & Lemon Flavour 20mg/ml Syrup contains:
• 4.7 vol % ethanol (alcohol), i.e. up to 400 mg per dose, equivalent to approximately 10 ml beer, 4 ml wine per 10 ml dose. This can be harmful for those suffering from alcoholism. The ethanol content should be taken into account in pregnant or breastfeeding women, children and high-risk groups such as patients with liver disease or epilepsy.
• glucose and sucrose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
Contains approximately 2 g sucrose per dose. This should be taken into account in patients with diabetes mellitus.
Always take this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your pharmacist has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
• This syrup is for oral use only.
• Do not use more than the stated dose shown.
Adults and adolescents of 12 years and over
Take 10ml (two 5 ml spoonfuls) four times a day
Children under 12 years
Patients with liver or kidney problems
Do not give
Speak to a doctor or pharmacist
• Do NOT take more than 4 doses (40ml) in 24 hours.
• Contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve within one week
If anyone has too much, contact a doctor or your nearest Accident and Emergency Department taking this leaflet and pack with you.
If you take too much of this medicine you may develop kidney stones.
Symptoms may include:
• Upset stomach, nausea and drowsiness.
You should only take this medicine as required following the dosage instructions carefully. If you forget to take a dose, take the next dose when needed. Do not take a double dose to make up for the forgotten dose. Do not take more than 4 doses (40 ml) in 24 hours.
Like all medicines, Benylin Mucus Cough Honey & Lemon Flavour 20 mg/ml Syrup can cause side-effects, although not everybody gets them.
• Allergic reactions including skin rashes (which may be severe and include blistering and peeling of the skin) and itching.
• Nausea or vomiting.
• Stomach pain and diarrhoea.
If you get any side-effects talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side-effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side-effects in the UK directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
By reporting side-effects, you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.'
• Keep the product out of the reach and sight of children.
• No special storage condition required.
• Do not use if bottle seal is broken when purchased.
• Do not use this product after the expiry date on the bottle and outer carton. The expiry date is the last day in the month indicated.
• Use within 6 months of opening.
• Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
Active ingredient: Guaifenesin. This product contains 100 mg guaifenesin in each 5 ml. Other ingredients: Sodium citrate, citric acid, carbomer, glycerol, ethanol, glucose, sucrose, sucralose, sodium benzoate (E211), caramel (E150), flavours: honey, lemon, cooling, levomenthol, tingling, hot mix, enhancer and bitterness blocker and water.
(For further information on some of the ingredients see Section 2).
Benylin Mucus Cough Honey & Lemon Flavour 20 mg/ml Syrup is a yellow brown coloured syrup for oral use only.
It is available in a 150 ml brown glass bottle fitted with a plastic child resistant cap.
Please retain the carton.
Marketing authorisation holder: McNeil Products Limited, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 3UG, United Kingdom.
Manufacturer: Famar Orleans, 5 avenue de Concyr, 45071 Orleans, Cedex 2, France.
Benylin is a registered trade mark Trademark ‘McNeil Products Ltd’