Boots Nirolex Night Time Cough Relief Linctus
Leaflet for Almus Night Time Cough Relief Linctus (Yellow Card update May 2015)
Information for the user
Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription to treat minor conditions. However, you still need to take it carefully to get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet, you may need to read it again
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice
• You must contact a pharmacist or doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve after 5 days
This medicine contains Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride and Pholcodine, which act to relieve coughs.
It can be used to relieve the symptoms of irritating dry, tickly unproductive coughs through the night and so aiding restful sleep.
This medicine can be taken by adults and children of 12 years and over. However, some people should not take this medicine or should seek the advice of their pharmacist or doctor first.
• If you are allergic to any of the ingredients
• If you have liver problems
• If you have difficulty breathing
• If you have porphyria (a rare blood disease)
• If you are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (for depression) or have taken them in the last 14 days
• If you have an intolerance to some sugars, unless your doctor tells you to (this medicine contains sucrose)
• If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
• If you have raised pressure in the eye (glaucoma)
• If you have severe heart or blood vessel disease
• If you have epilepsy
• If you have difficulty in passing urine or kidney problems
• If you have an obstruction in your intestine
• If you have long-term lung problems or an infection which produces lots of phlegm on the
Leaflet for Almus Night Time Cough Relief Linctus (Yellow Card update May 2015) chest
• If you are addicted to drugs or have been in the past
• If you take other medicines
-Water tablets (diuretics), medicines to treat high blood pressure
-Medicines that may make you sleepy or feel drowsy such as strong painkillers or medicines for epilepsy
-Medicines for depression or other mental health conditions -Medicines which may cause a dry mouth (e.g. atropine)
• If you are on a low salt (sodium) diet (this medicine contains 41 mg of sodium per 20 ml, which may be harmful to you)
• If you are a man with prostate problems
Do not drink alcohol (wine, beer, spirits) whilst taking this medicine.
If you go into hospital for an operation tell the doctor that you are taking this medicine.
Driving and using machines: This medicine can affect your ability to drive or use machines as it may make you feel sleepy or dizzy.
• Do not drive or use machines while taking this medicine until you are sure you are not affected
• It is an offence to drive if this medicine affects your ability to drive
• However, you would not be committing an offence if:
- The medicine has been prescribed to treat a medical or dental problem and
- You have taken it according to the instructions given by the prescriber or in the information provided with the medicine and
- It was not affecting your ability to drive safely
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure whether it is safe for you to drive while taking this medicine.
Information about some of the ingredients: This medicine contains 9 g of sucrose per 20 ml. This should be taken into account if you have diabetes mellitus.
This medicine may increase the effects of alcohol and other depressant medicines. Each 20 ml contains 0.8 g alcohol (ethanol), equivalent to 20 ml of beer or 8 ml of wine. May be harmful if you suffer from alcoholism.
Check the seal is not broken before first use. If it is, do not take the medicine.
How much to take
How often to take
Adults and children of 12 years and over
Four 5 ml spoonfuls
At bedtime only
This medicine should be swallowed.
Do not give to children under 12 years.
Do not exceed the stated dose
If symptoms do not go away within 5 days talk to your doctor.
! If you take too much: Talk to your doctor straight away.
Most people will not have problems, but some may get some.
! If you get any of these serious side effects, stop taking the medicine. See a doctor at once:
• Difficulty in breathing, swelling of the face, neck, tongue or throat (severe allergic reactions) These other effects are less serious. If they bother you talk to a pharmacist:
Feeling sick, being sick, dry mouth
• Blurred vision, constipation, difficulty passing urine
• Drowsiness, feeling very excited, irritability, depression, nightmares
• Skin rashes
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
Do not store above 25°C.
Keep all medicines out of the sight and reach of children.
Use by the date on the end flap of the carton or on the label edge.
Active ingredients: Each 20 ml of oral solution contains Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 50 mg, Pholcodine 15 mg.
Also contains: purified water, liquid sugar (sucrose), glycerol (E422), ethanol (4.8 vol %), sodium citrate, citric acid, sodium benzoate (E211), hyetellose, quinoline yellow (E104), patent blue V (E131), flavours (grenadine, containing propylene glycol).
Leaflet prepared May 2015
Manufactured for Almus Pharmaceuticals Ltd,43 Cox Lane, Chessington, KT9 1SN, UK by the Marketing Authorisation holder The Boots Company PLC Nottingham NG2 3AA
To request a copy of this leaflet in Braille, large print or audio please call, free of charge: 0800 198 5000 (UK only)
Please be ready to give the following information:
Reference number: 00014/0230
This is a service provided by the Royal National Institute of Blind People.
If you need more advice ask your pharmacist.
Use By: Bar code
Item code Component code
ALMUS ARTWORK STATUS BOX
Product Name: Almus Night Time Cough Relief Linctus
Product Licence Number: PL 00014/0230
Reason for change: Addition of the Yellow Card warning
Status: Almus Internally Approved
Date: 20 May 2015
Pack Details: Leaflet
Wording Reference: A4 text as not currently marketed.