Boxs Herbals Sennaherb Laxative Tablets
1. WHAT THIS PRODUCT IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
Napiers Sennamix Constipation Relief is a traditional herbal medicinal product containing Senna leaf, Cape Aloe leaf, Cascara bark and Dandelion root. For full details see Section 6.
Napiers Sennamix Constipation Reliefis a traditional herbal medicinal product used for the short term relief of occasional constipation, based on traditional use only.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE THIS PRODUCT
Do not take this product if you:
• are under 18 years old
• are pregnant or breastfeeding
• are allergic to any of the ingredients to plants of the Asteraceae (Compositae) family
• have obstruction of the bile duct, cholangitis (inflammation of the bile duct), liver diseases, gall stones, active peptic ulcer or other biliary disease
• have blockage or narrowing of the gastro-intestinal tract or bowel (ileus, intestinal obstructions or stenosis)
• have paralysis or lack of muscle tone in the bowel (atony)
• have appendicitis, inflammatory bowel diseases (e.g. Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis)
• have persistent or undiagnosed abdominal complaints, e.g. pain, nausea or vomiting
• have severe dehydration
• have faecal impaction, rectal bleeding, blood in your stools for which you don’t know the cause
• have a sudden change in bowel habit that has lasted for more than 2 weeks
• have already taken a laxative and are still constipated
• have diabetes, kidney or heart failure
Important information about some of the ingredients in this medicine
This product contains 100 mg of sucrose per tablet. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicinal product.
Special warnings -
- If laxatives are needed every day the cause of the constipation should be investigated.
- Long term use of laxatives should be avoided. This product should only be used if relief of constipation cannot be achieved by a change of diet or the administration of bulk forming agents.
- Patients with kidney disorders should be aware of possible electrolyte imbalance.
- When administering this product to incontinent adults, pads should be changed more frequently to prevent extended skin contact with faeces.
Taking other medicines:
If you are taking medicines for a heart condition e.g. cardiac glycosides, antiarrhythmic medicinal products, medicinal products inducing QT-prolongation or diuretics, adrenocorticosteroids or liquorice root, preparations, consult your doctor before taking this product.
Tell your doctor before taking this medicine if you are taking any of the above medicines or any other medicines, including any bought with a prescription.
3. HOW TO TAKE THIS PRODUCT
For oral use only.
Adults and the elderly:
One or two tablets at bedtime or before a meal.
Maximum daily dose: 2 tablets.
Do not exceed the stated dose.
If your symptoms persist during the use of this product, speak to your doctor, pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner.
If there is no bowel movement after 3 days consult your doctor.
If you need to take this product more than 1-2 weeks or every day, or abdominal pain persists, consult your doctor.
If you take too much (overdose).
If you take more than the recommended dose, speak to a doctor, pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner and take this leaflet with you.
If you forget to take this product
Continue to take your usual dose at the usual time. Do not take a double dose. It does not matter if you miss a dose.
If you have any questions, or are unsure of anything, please speak to your doctor, pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
This product may cause stomach pain, excess acid, spasms and diarrhea. Stomach pain and diarrhea may occur in particular in patients with irritable colon.
Chronic use may lead to albuminuria and haematuria which is albumin or red blood cells in the urine.
Allergic reactions such as local or widespread rash, hives (skin bumps) or itchiness around the anus may occur. Yellow or red-brown discolouration of urine may occur, which is harmless.
If other adverse reactions not mentioned above occur, a doctor or qualified health care practitioner should be consulted.
Making medicines safer
You can help to make medicines safer by reporting any side-effects to the Yellow Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard Alternatively you can get a paper Yellow Card form from your doctor’s surgery or a pharmacy, or call freephone 0808 100 3352 (available 10am-2pm Monday to Friday).
5. HOW TO STORE THIS PRODUCT
Do not use this product after the expiry date. The expiry date is printed on the label and on the bottom of the carton.
Do not store above 25°C. Store in the original container.
There are no special precautions for disposal.
Keep this product out of the reach and sight of children.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
Each tablet contains:
100 mg of Senna leaf (Cassia senna
45 mg of Cape Aloe leaf (Aloe ferox Miller)
30 mg of Cascara Bark (Rhamnus purshiana D.C.)
30 mg of Dandelion Root (Taraxacum officinale Weber ex Wigg.)
Each tablet also contains Fennel seed Calcium hydrogen phosphate, sucrose, talc, magnesium stearate and sodium starch glycolate.
This product comes in containers of 100 pink round tablets.
What is Senna Leaf?
Alexandrian senna is a small ornamental shrub with feathery leaves and bean-like pods that originates from Egypt. An extract from the leaves is used in this medicine.
What is Cape Aloe leaf?
Cape aloe is a member of the Aloe family and is native to Southern Africa. An extract from the leaf is used in this medicine.
What is Cascara bark?
Cascara, also known as Sacred Bark or Cascara Buckthorn, is a large shrub native to the western California. An extract fro m the sustainably harvested bark is used in this medicine.
W h at is D a n delion root?
Dandelions are common all over Europe, noted for their cheerful yellow flowers in Spring and Summer. An extract from the bitter root is used in this medicine.
Traditional Herbal Registration holder:
Highland Herbs Limited,
10 Payne Street,
Glasgow, G4 0LF
Potters Ltd, Wigan, WN5 0JZ, UK
Traditional Herbal Registration number: THR 43751/0017
Leaflet revised 08/01/2015
A copy of this leaflet in large format print is available.
If you would like more information about this product please contact:
Napiers the Herbalists,
10 Payne Street,
Glasgow, G4 0LF Telephone: 0845 002 1860
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
with Senna leaf, Cape Aloe leaf, Cascara bark and Dandelion root
Please read this leaflet carefully before you start taking this product.
It contains important information for you about this product that may affect you.
Keep this leaflet. You may wish to read it again.
You must contact a doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner if your symptoms do not improve or worsen during the use of this medicinal product. If any side effects become serious, or if you notice side effects not listed in here, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
What is in this leaflet?
1. What this product is and what it is used for.
2. Before you take this product
3. How to take this product
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store this product
6. Further information