Bronchoforce Chesty Cough Ivy Complex Oral Drops
Patient Information Leaflet
Ivy Complex oral drops
This product is used to relieve chesty coughs, mucus coughs and catarrh.
This product is suitable for adults and children over 12 years.
Don't take this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients: see section 6.
Before you take this product:
read section 2.
Dosage instructions: see
Talk to your doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve within 7 days.
Side effects may occur: see section 4.
Now read the rest of this leaflet carefully. Keep this leaflet. You
may need to read it again.
Bronchoforce is a traditional herbal medicinal product used to relieve:
Chesty coughs Mucus coughs Catarrh
This is based on traditional use only.
0® Do's & Don'ts
Do not give this product to children under 12.
If you are allergic to:
Ivy (Hedera helix). This product contains ivy. Thyme (Thymus vulgaris). This product contains thyme.
Liquorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra). This product contains liquorice root.
Any of the other ingredients in this product. (See section 6 Further Information)
If you are taking any of the following:
Another medicine which is affected by alcohol Another product containing liquorice Diuretics
Digoxin or other cardiac glycosides Corticosteroids Stimulant laxatives Medicines which may affect your electrolyte balance
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
If you suffer from:
High blood pressure Kidney disease Liver problems Heart problems Low blood levels of potassium which can cause muscle weakness, twitching or abnormal heart rhythm (hypokalemia)
If you are taking any medicine for high blood pressure. The liquorice root in Bronchoforce may affect how it works.
This medicinal product contains 51 vol °/o ethanol (alcohol), i.e. up to 212 mg per 20 drop dose, equivalent to 5.4 ml beer (around a teaspoon) or 2.25 ml wine (around half a teaspoon) per dose.
If you suffer from alcoholism the alcohol content of this product may be harmful.
If you are in a high-risk group (patients with liver disease or epilepsy) you should consider the alcohol content before taking this product.
Adults and children over 12 years: Take 20 drops in a little water three to five times daily.
Not for use in children under 12.
For oral use only. Do not take more than the recommended dose.
If you feel ill, talk to your doctor.
Overdose of this product may result in alcohol intoxication and should be treated accordingly (see section 2 You should also know).
Don't worry about the missed dose. Take the next dose as usual.
This product contains alcohol (see section 2 'You should also know' for alcohol content).
Please turn over...
If you feel this product isn't working
Stop taking this product and see
your doctor if:
• You are short of breath (dyspnoea)
• You have a high temperature (fever)
• Your phlegm is yellow-green to brown in colour (purulent sputum)
• If your symptoms worsen or you don't feel an improvement within 7 days
You can get a larger print or audio version of this leaflet. Call this number:
Like all medicines, this product can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The following side effects can occur when using this product.
• Digestive upsets such as sickness or feeling sick
These are often short-lived and should go away by themselves. However if they are troubling you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
• Skin rashes
Stop taking the product if these occur.
There have been isolated reports of the following side effects occurring with products containing liquorice:
• Low blood levels of potassium which can cause muscle weakness, twitching or abnormal heart rhythm (hypokalaemia)
• Irregular heartbeat (cardiac rhythm disorders)
• High blood pressure (hypertension)
• A serious condition resulting from high blood pressure (hypertensive encephalopathy)
Stop taking the product if these occur. Seek medical advice and take this leaflet with you.
The frequency of these side effects is not known. This means it is not known how often these reactions occur as there has not been enough reports to allow this information to be calculated.
If you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
• Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
• Do not use this product after the expiry date on the packaging. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• This medicinal product does not require any special storage conditions.
• Do not use this product if you notice a change in colour. It should be a clear liquid that is brown in colour.
1 ml of oral liquid contains the tinctures of:
(Hedera helix L.) (1:5.7-6.0)
Extraction solvent: ethanol 51% V/V
(Thymus vulgaris L.) (1:8.0-8.2) Extraction solvent: ethanol 51% V/V
(Glycyrrhiza glabra L.) (1:10-11) Extraction solvent: ethanol 51% V/V 1 ml of Bronchoforce is equivalent to 38 drops.
The other ingredients used for the liquid are ethanol, purified water, star anise oil and eucalyptus oil.
Bronchoforce is a clear liquid that is brown in colour. It is available in 15 ml, 50 ml and 100 ml bottles. Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Traditional Herbal Registration Holder and Batch Release:
Bioforce (UK) Ltd,
2 Brewster Place,
Irvine, Ayrshire, UK KA11 5DD
Bioforce AG, CH-9325, Roggwil Switzerland
THR No. 13668/0022
This leaflet was revised on 11/2013
• Ivy is an evergreen climbing plant which is native to Europe. The extract of the leaves is used to make Bronchoforce.
• Thyme is a herb native to Europe which has been consumed as a food and medicine for many years.
• Liquorice is a plant which is native to Southern Europe and parts of Asia. It is the extract of the roots which is used to make Bronchoforce.
Bioforce runs a helpline by phone and email which can provide you with further information.
Phone: 0845 608 5858
You can help to make medicines safer by reporting any side effects to the Yellow Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. Alternatively you can get a paper Yellow Card form from your doctor's surgery or pharmacy, or call freephone 0808 100 3352 (available 10am-2pm Monday-Friday).
0845 608 5858