• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
• This medicine has been prescribed for you. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effect not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What Carbo-Dome Cream is and what it is used for
2. Before you apply Carbo-Dome Cream
3. How to apply Carbo-Dome Cream
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Carbo-Dome Cream
6. Further Information
The active ingredient, coal tar solution, which is used to relieve and prevent itching and promotes the softening of the outer layer of skin, the tar acids in coal tar have been shown to have anti-bacterial properties.
Carbo-Dome® Cream is used to treat psoriasis.
2 Before you apply Carbo-Dome Cream
• If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to coal tar or any of the other ingredients (see section 6)
• If you suffer from inflammation of the hair follicles (folliculitis) or acne
• If your skin reacts to sunlight (photosensitive)
• If you suffer from a condition called lupus erythematosus
• If you have inflamed or broken skin (open wound or skin infections)
• On the genitals or rectal areas.
• Take care when applying Carbo-Dome to your face, avoid your eyes and other sensitive areas. If the cream gets into your eyes rinse them thoroughly with water.
• Use this cream sparingly and with care especially around the skin folds (e.g. your elbows)
• Avoid exposure to direct sunlight and UV lamps after applying as this increases the effects of the coal tar particularly in the treatment of psoriasis. If you are going out into the sun or work outdoors, use a strong sun cream, wear a broad rimmed hat and loose clothes to protect the treated area from the sun.
• Coal tar may stain your clothes and hair.
You can use coal tar while taking other medicines.
It is very important that you tell your doctor if you are taking any other medication. You should also tell your doctor if you are taking any medicines you can buy without a prescription.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking or using any medicine.
For external use on the skin only, not to be swallowed.
Use sparingly and with care on skin folds (e.g. elbow) and the delicate skin areas around the sex organs and scalp. Shake the bottle thoroughly before each use.
Adults and children over 12 years of age
• Ensure the affected skin is clean before applying the lotion.
• Apply a thin layer of Carbo-Dome over the affected layer 2 - 3 times a day, massage in gently and leave it dry.
As for adults but the lotion should be diluted by mixing it with a few drops of freshly boiled, cooled water.
Some patients use a thin layer of moisturising cream to keep the affected areas moist after the lotion has been applied.
If you or anyone else swallows any of this cream, contact a doctor immediately or go to your nearest hospital casualty department and take the bottle with you to show the doctor what you have used.
If you apply an unintentional extra dose it is unlikely tobe harmful.
If you forget to apply the cream, apply the missed dose as soon as you remember.
Apply your next dose at the correct time.
• This cream contains methyl-p-
hydroxybenzoate which may cause allergic reactions (these reactions may be delayed).
If any of the side effects get serious or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.
5 How to store Carbo-Dome Cream
Do not use this cream after the expiry date shown on the label. This is the last day of the month.
Store this cream in a cool place.
If you notice any visible signs of deterioration in your cream, take it to your pharmacist for advice.
Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children. Your medicines can harm them.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
Like all medicines, Carbo-Dome Cream can
cause side effects, although not everybody
The side effects are:
• Some people may be more sensitive to the sun, sunbeds and UV lamps while using coal tar cream. If this happens to you, avoid exposure to the sunlight, sunbeds and UV lamps (unless this is required as for example part of your treatment for psoriasis).
• Skin irritation may occur.
• Acne-type skin eruptions.
• Inflammation of the hair follicles in the skin.
• Staining of the skin.
Carbo-Dome® Cream contains 10% of coal tar solution BP as the active ingredient. It also contains dehydag wax, beeswax, white soft paraffin, light liquid paraffin, glycerol, sodium lauryl sulphate, methyl p-hydroxybenzoate (E219) and purified water.
Carbo-Dome® Cream is available in 30 g and 100g aluminium tubes.
Product Licence Holder:
Sandoz Ltd, Frimley Business Park, Frimley, Camberley, Surrey, GU16 7SR, UK.
Pharmasol Ltd, North Way, Walworth Industrial Estate, Andover, Hampshire, SP10 5AZ.
This leaflet applies to Carbo-Dome® Cream only. SZ00000LT000