Echinacin Liquidum Madaus
ECHINACIN LIQUIDUM MADAUS
Pressed juice from Echinacea purpurea fresh herb.
Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription.
However, you still need to take Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS carefully to get the best results from it.
Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
Ask your pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner if you need more information or advice.
You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve after ten days.
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What this product is and what it is for
2. Before you take Echinacin Liquidum Madaus
3. How to take Echinacin Liquidum Madaus
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Echinacin Liquidum Madaus
6. Further information
Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS is a traditional herbal medicinal product used to relieve the symptoms of:
This is based on traditional use only.
Do not take Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS
• if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to the active ingredient or to plants of the daisy (Asteraceae/Compositae) family, or any of the other ingredients of Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS (Please see section 6, Further information).
• if you have a tendency to allergies such as hives, allergic eczema or asthma
• if you suffer from the infection tuberculosis
• if you suffer from connective tissue disease with formation of clumps of cells (sarcoidosis), mainly occuring in the lymph nodes, lung and liver
• if you suffer from autoimmune diseases such as inflammation of the connective tissue (collagenoses) or multiple sclerosis
• if you suffer from conditions which decrease your resistance to infections (e.g. HIV infections or AIDS) or are on therapy to reduce your natural response to infection (immunosuppression) e.g. chemotherapy for cancer, radiotherapy
• if you have had an organ or bone marrow transplant
• if you suffer from blood disorders involving the white blood cell system such as low white blood cell count due to bone marrow disorders (agranulocytosis) or blood cell cancer (leukemia).
Do not give Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS to children below 12 years of age.
Take special care with Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS
- if the symptoms worsen or high fever occurs while using this product or if symptoms do not improve after 10 days, consult your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.
There is a possible risk of anaphylactic reactions in people who are prone to allergies. If you have suffered from hypersensitivity reactions in the past, consult your doctor before using Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS.
Taking other medicines
Please tell your qualified healthcare practitioner or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Do not take Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS with:
• medicines that suppress your immune system (such as ciclosporin and methotrexate)
• medicines that are known to be affected by alcohol (such as metronidazole).
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Do not take this medicine if pregnant or breast-feeding. Driving and using machines
No studies on the effects on the ability to drive and use machines have been performed.
This product contains alcohol (see below). If affected do not drive or use machines.
Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS contains alcohol
This product contains 22 % v/v ethanol (alcohol), which is up to 447.5 mg of ethanol in a 2.5 ml dose, and equivalent to 10 ml of beer or 4 ml of wine in each dose.
It is harmful for people suffering from alcoholism. Also, you need to consider this if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, a child, or have liver disease or epilepsy.
For oral use only.
Always take Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS as your qualified healthcare practitioner or pharmacist has told you. You should check with your qualified healthcare practitioner or pharmacist if you are not sure.
The usual dose is:
Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years of age: Take 2.5 ml of oral solution (half a teaspoonful) 3 times a day.
The solution can be swallowed as it is or diluted with a little water.
Start taking it at the first signs of a common cold. Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS should not be used for longer than 10 days.
Do not exceed the recommended dose.
If you take too much of this medicine and feel unwell, consult your doctor as soon as possible. Overdose of this product may result in alcohol intoxication (see Section 2) and should be treated accordingly.
If you forget to take Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS
If you have missed a dose, do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose but continue taking the medicine as instructed by your qualified healthcare practitioner or pharmacist or as described in this leaflet.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner.
Like all medicines, Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Stop taking Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS and consult your doctor at once if one of the following side effects occur:
• allergic reactions such as itching (hives), rash
• difficulty in breathing (bronchospasm with obstruction)
• asthma or anaphylactic shock (a life-threatening allergic reaction)
• blistering of the skin and mucous membranes (Stevens-Johnson Syndrome)
• swelling of the skin due to fluid (angioedema) or swelling of the facial area (Quincke's oedema).
Echinacea can trigger allergic reactions in people who are prone to allergies.
There have been isolated reports suggesting an association between Echinacea products and autoimmune diseases which can cause:
• inflammation of the brain and spinal cord (disseminated encephalitis)
• reddish, painful, tender lumps on the skin usually below the knees (erythema nodosum)
• low platelet count (immunothrombocytopenia)
• destruction of blood cells by antibodies (Evans Syndrome)
• dryness in the mouth and eyes, with renal tubular dysfunction (Sjogren Syndrome).
A low white blood cell count (leucopenia) may occur in long-term use (more than 8 weeks). This may mean you are more likely to have infections.
The frequency of these side effects is not known.
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if symptoms persist for more than 10 days, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
You can help to make medicines safer by reporting any side-effects to the Yellow Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. Alternatively you can get a paper Yellow Card form from your GP's surgery or pharmacy, or call freephone 0808 100 3352 (available 10am-2pm Monday - Friday).
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not store above 25 °C. Keep in the original container.
This product should be discarded 3 months after first opening.
Do not use Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS after the expiry date which is stated on the label and on the carton after “EXP”. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines which are no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
What Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS contains
Each 2.5 ml of oral solution contains 1.99 g pressed juice from Echinacea purpurea fresh herb [1.7 - 2.5 : 1] equivalent to 3.4 g-5 g Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench.
The other ingredients are: ethanol (alcohol) and water.
What Echinacin Liquidum MADAUS looks like and contents of the pack
Brownish solution in amber glass bottles of 100 ml.
On standing, clouding or settling of the contents may occur. This will not affect the product.
Traditional Herbal Registration holder and Manufacturer
51101 Cologne, Germany
HFA Healthcare Ltd.
30 Blossomfield Road Solihull, West Midlands,B91 1 NF