Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets
Yellow Phenolphthalein 120mg and Powdered Rhubarb 27.5mg
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start taking this medicine.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- This medicine has been prescribed for you. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
- If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets are and what they are used for
2. Before you take Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets
3. How to take Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets
6. Further information
Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets are brown circular tablets which belong to a group of medicines known as stimulant laxatives. These work by increasing bowel movement which helps to empty the contents of the bowel. Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets are used for the relief of constipation.
• if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to yellow phenolphthalein, powdered rhubarb or any of the other ingredients of Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets (see section 6).
Take special care with Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets
Prolonged use of Fam-Lax phenolphthalein Tablets should be avoided. If you are finding that you need to take laxatives every day, speak to your doctor for further advice.
Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
There is no evidence that Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets are harmful during pregnancy and breast-feeding. However as with all drugs, Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets should not be taken during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. Always ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets contain sucrose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
Always take Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Adults and Children over 12 years of age: Half to one tablet daily to be taken at bedtime. The use of this product is not recommended in children under 12 years old.
The tablet may be chewed or crushed and taken with the aid of water, milk or fruit juice.
You may experience diarrhoea-like symptoms. Contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
If you forget to take Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets
You must wait until the next evening and take the next dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Like all medicines, Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. These could include:
• stomach or gut pain
• allergic reactions such as swollen face or neck, or difficulty breathing
• heart problems
• breathing problems
• damage to kidneys
If you suffer from any of these side effects, STOP TAKING Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets and seek medical attention. If you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Store below 25°C in a dry place.
Do not use Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets after the expiry date that is stated on foil strip and on the carton after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of the month.
Medicines should not be disposed of via household waste. Return any unused tablets to the pharmacist for safe disposal. These measures will help to protect the environment.
- The active substances are yellow phenolphthalein (120mg) and powdered rhubarb (27.5mg).
- The other ingredients are icing sugar, cocoa powder, powdered acacia, vanillin, peppermint oil, stearic acid, purified talc.
Fam-Lax Phenolphthalein Tablets are brown circular tablets embossed with the letter ‘T’. They are packed in foil strips and are available in cartons containing 12, 30 or 36 tablets.
Marketing Authorisation Holder: Typharm Ltd, 14D Wendover Road, Rackheath Industrial Estate, Norwich, NR13 6LH
Manufacturer: Packpharm Ltd., 14D Wendover Road, Rackheath Industrial Estate, Norwich, NR13 6LH .