Famciclovir Pharmathen 250 Mg Film-Coated Tablets
PACKAGE LEAFLET: INFORMATION FOR THE USER
Famciclovir Pharmathen 125 film-coated tablets Famciclovir Pharmathen 250 film-coated tablets Famciclovir Pharmathen 500 film-coated tablets
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or your pharmacist.
• This medicine has been prescribed for you. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them, even
if their symptoms are the same as yours.
• If any of the side effects get serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What Famciclovir Pharmathen is, and what it is used for
2. Before you take Famciclovir Pharmathen
3. How to take Famciclovir Pharmathen
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Famciclovir Pharmathen
6. Further information
Famciclovir Pharmathen is an antiviral medicine. It stops the infecting virus from reproducing. Since
the virus reproduces very early in the infection, you will benefit most from treatment if you take
Famciclovir Pharmathen as soon as the first symptoms appear.
Famciclovir Pharmathen is used to treat two types of viral infections in adults:
- Shingles (herpes zoster), which is a viral infection caused by a virus called varicella zoster (the same virus that causes chickenpox). Famciclovir Pharmathen stops the virus from spreading in the body so that healing can occur faster.
- Famciclovir Pharmathen is also used for the treatment of shingles in the area around the eye or of the eye itself (ophthalmic zoster).
- Genital herpes. Genital herpes is a viral infection caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 or 2. It is normally spread by sexual contact. It causes blisters and burning or itching around the genitals, which may be painful. Famciclovir Pharmathen is used to treat genital herpes infections in adults.
People who have frequent episodes of genital herpes can also take Famciclovir Pharmathen to help to prevent the attacks.
The tablets are available in four different strengths.
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to famciclovir, to any of the other ingredients of Famciclovir Pharmathen listed in section 6, or to penciclovir (the active metabolite of famciclovir and an ingredient of some other medicines).
Ask your doctor for advice, if you think you may be allergic.
- If you have kidney problems (or have had them before). Your doctor may decide to give you a lower dose of Famciclovir Pharmathen
- If you have problems with your body’s immune system.
- If you have liver problems.
If any of these applies to you, tell your doctor before you take [Famciclovir].
Children and adolescents (below the age of 18 years)
Famciclovir Pharmathen is not recommended for use in children and adolescents.
If you are taking Famciclovir Pharmathen to treat or to suppress genital herpes, or you have had genital herpes in the past, you should still practise safe sex, including the use of condom. This is important to prevent you passing the infection on to others. You should not have sex if you have genital sores or blisters.
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
It is especially important that you tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any of the following medicines:
• Raloxifene (used to prevent and treat osteoporosis).
• Probenecid (used to treat high blood levels of uric acid associated with gout and to increase blood levels of penicillin-type antibiotics), or any other medicine that can affect your kidneys.
You can take Famciclovir Pharmathen with or without food.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
If you are pregnant or think you may be, tell your doctor. Famciclovir Pharmathen is not to be used during pregnancy unless clearly necessary. Your doctor will discuss with you the potential risks of taking Famciclovir Pharmathen during pregnancy.
If you are breast-feeding, tell your doctor. Famciclovir Pharmathen is not to be used during breastfeeding unless clearly necessary. Your doctor will discuss with you the possible risks of taking Famciclovir Pharmathen during breast-feeding.
Famciclovir Pharmathen can cause dizziness, drowsiness or confusion. Do not drive or use machines if you have any of these symptoms while taking [Famciclovir].
Always take Famciclovir Pharmathen exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your
doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- The daily dose and length of treatment will depend on the type of viral infection you have - see below. Your doctor will prescribe the correct dose for you.
- For the best results start the medicine as soon as possible after the first signs and symptoms appear.
- Do not have sexual contact with anyone if you have symptoms of genital herpes - even if you have started treatment with Famciclovir. This is because you could pass the herpes infection to your partner.
- If you have or have had kidney problems, your doctor may decide to give you a lower dose of [Famciclovir].
If you have a normal immune system, the recommended dose is
- one tablet of 500 mg, three times a day, for seven days
If you have a reduced immune system, the recommended dose is
- one tablet of 500 mg three times a day, for ten days.
The dose depends on the state of your immune system, and the stage of your infection.
If you have a normal immune system, the doses are as follows:
For the first outbreak, the recommended dose is:
- one tablet of 250 mg three times a day, for five days.
To treat further outbreaks, the recommended dose is: - one tablet of 125 mg twice a day, for five days.
To prevent future outbreaks, the recommended dose is: - one tablet of 250 mg twice a day.
Your doctor will tell you how long you need to continue taking your tablets. If you have a reduced immune system, the doses are as follows:
To treat the current outbreak, the recommended dose is:
- one tablet of 500 mg twice a day, for seven days.
To prevent future outbreaks, the dose is
- one tablet of 500 mg twice a day.
Your doctor will tell you how long you need to continue taking your tablets.
If you have taken more tablets than you have been told to take, or if someone else accidentally takes your medicine, go to your doctor or hospital for advice immediately. Show them your pack of tablets.
Taking too much Famciclovir Pharmathen may affect the kidneys. In people who already have kidney problems it may, rarely, lead to kidney failure if their dose is not correctly lowered.
If you forget to take a dose of Famciclovir Pharmathen, you should take it as soon as you remember. Then take your next dose as scheduled. However, do not take two doses within a time interval of less than 1 hour, in that case you should skip the missed dose. Furthermore, do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Like all medicines, Famciclovir Pharmathen can cause side effects although not everybody gets them. The side effects caused by Famciclovir Pharmathen are usually mild to moderate in intensity.
The frequency of possible side effects listed below is defined using the following convention:
- very common (affects more than 1 user in 10)
- common (affects 1 to 10 users in 100)
- uncommon (affects 1 to 10 users in 1,000)
- rare (affects 1 to 10 users in 10,000)
- very rare (affects less than 1 user in 10,000)
Serious side effects of Famciclovir Pharmathen are:
• Severe blistering of the skin and/or mucous membranes of the lips, eyes, mouth, nasal passages or genitals (these could be signs of serious allergic skin reaction, for frequency see below).
• Unexplained bruising, reddish or purplish patches on the skin or nosebleeds (these could be signs of a decrease in the number of blood platelets, for frequency see below).
you get any of these effects.
Very common side effects
Common side effects
- Feeling sick (nausea)
- Liver function test giving abnormal results
Uncommon side effects
- Severe skin reactions
Rare side effects
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not really there)
- Yellowing of the skin and/or eyes
- Low platelet count
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not store above 25°C.
Store in the original package in order to protect from moisture.
Do not use Famciclovir Pharmathen if you notice the pack is damaged or shows signs of tampering. Do not take the tablets after the expiry date which is stated on the label after EXP:. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
The active substance is famciclovir.
125 mg film-coated tablets contain 125 mg famciclovir as active substance. 250 mg film-coated tablets contain 250 mg famciclovir as active substance. 500 mg film-coated tablets contain 500 mg famciclovir as active substance.
The other ingredients are:
Table core: Microcrystalline cellulose PH102, crospovidone (XL), silicon dioxide anhydrous, copovidone, sodium stearyl fumarate.
Table coat: hypromellose, polydextrose, triethyl citrate, titanium dioxide (E171), macrogol 8000.
Famciclovir Pharmathen tablets are available in four strengths:
• Famciclovir Pharmathen 125 mg is supplied as white, round coated tablet, debossed with a ‘‘P’’ logo on one side and ‘‘125’’ on the other.
• Famciclovir Pharmathen 250 mg is supplied as white, round coated tablet, debossed with a ‘‘P’’ logo on one side and ‘‘250’’ on the other.
• Famciclovir Pharmathen 500 mg is supplied as white, oval coated tablet, debossed with a ‘‘P’’ logo on one side and ‘‘500’’ on the other.
Famciclovir Pharmathen is available in packs of:
125 mg tablets: 10 tablets (blister packs)
250 mg tablets: 15, 21, 56 tablets (blister packs)
500 mg tablets: 14, 21, 30, 56 tablets (blister packs)
Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
6 Dervenakion str., Pallini Attiki, 153 51 Greece Tel.: +30 210 666 5067 Fax: + 30 210 666 6749 E-mail: email@example.com
UK: Famciclovir Pharmathen AT: Famciclovir Pharmathen CZ: Famciclovir Pharmathen EE: Famciclovir Pharmathen EL: Famciclovir Pharmathen ES: Famciclovir Pharmathen FR: Famciclovir Pharmathen IT: Famciclovir Pharmathen LT: Famciclovir Pharmathen LV: Famciclovir Pharmathen SK: Famciclovir Pharmathen