Galenphol Strong Linctus
Important information about Galenphol Strong Linctus
• This medicine relieves the symptoms of dry coughs in adults, the elderly and children over 12 years.
Do not take....
• If you have breathing problems including bronchitis. See section 2.
• Or give to children under 12 years.
• Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine.
• With other cough and cold medicines.
Now read the rest of the leaflet before you use this medicine. It includes other information which might be especially important for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need any more information or advice.
• If you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Galenphol Strong Linctus contains pholcodine which reduces the desire to cough.
It is used to relieve dry coughs which are without phlegm.
• An allergy to any of the ingredients listed in section 6.
• Liver disease.
• Shallow breath or breathing difficulties.
• An asthma attack.
• Taken MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) for depression within the last two weeks.
• Or you are under 12 years old.
• Kidney or liver problems.
• A history of asthma or other breathing problems including bronchitis.
• A cough for a long time or a cough which produces lots of phlegm.
A Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking....
• Medicine for high blood pressure, e.g. ACE inhibitors, beta blockers.
• Diuretics, which help remove fluid from the body, e.g. furosemide hydrochlorothiazide.
• Medicines used to treat sleeplessness, anxiety and schizophrenia.
• Alcohol or tranquillisers.
• Pain killers, e.g. morphine.
• Or are having surgery, as muscle relaxants used may react with this medicine.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using this medicine if you are pregnant, might be pregnant or are breastfeeding. Galenphol Strong Linctus should not be used in pregnancy unless the doctor has told you to do so.
If you use it when breastfeeding, pholcodine in this medicine will be present in small amounts in your milk.
This medicine may cause drowsiness. If you are affected do not drive or operate machinery.
A Important information about some of the ingredients
• This medicine contains small amounts of ethanol (alcohol), less than 100mg per 5ml dose.
• It also contains sodium hydroxybenzoates, amaranth dye and sunset yellow dye which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed).
Keyline (Does not print)
Galenphol Strong Linctus
210 x 148mm
1 Date 09.10.2014
Turn over &
Take this medicine by mouth.
The normal dose is given below but your doctor may prescribe a different amount for you. Always follow the instructions given by the doctor or pharmacist.
O Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years
• Take one 5ml spoonful every four to six hours.
Do not give to children under 12 unless your doctor tells you to.
If your symptoms persist you should ask your doctor for advice.
If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor straight away. Take the pack with you to show which medicine you have swallowed.
Like all medicines Galenphol Strong Linctus can have side effects, although these don't affect everyone.
Important side effects:
If you think you have any of the following side effects or symptoms, stop using this medicine immediately and see a doctor as soon as possible.
• Allergic reactions which cause difficulty in breathing, fever, swelling of the mouth, lips or skin, severe rashes and itching.
Other possible side effects are:
• Feeling sick.
• Getting excited.
• Being sick.
• Failure to cough up phlegm.
If you notice these or any other side effect not included above, stop use and tell your doctor or pharmacist. They will tell you what to do. Reporting of sideeffects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
• Keep it out of the sight and reach of children.
• Protect from light.
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the pharmacist's label.
• Medicine should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of any unused medicine. These measures will help to protect the environment.
The active ingredient per 5ml is:
The other ingredients are:
citric acid monohydrate(E330), sodium methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E219), sodium ethyl parahydroxybenzoate (E215) and sodium propyl parahydroxybenzoate, glycerol (E422), ethanol, sunset yellow dye (E110), amaranth dye (E123), saccharin sodium, carmellose sodium, menthol, condensed milk flavour, aniseed flavour and purified water.
Galenphol Strong Linctus is a thick orange-red liquid which smells of menthol and aniseed.
It is dispensed for you by the pharmacist.
Thornton and Ross Ltd., Huddersfield,
HD7 5QH, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in October 2014
Galenphol Strong is a trade mark of Thornton & Ross Ltd.