Lifeplan Echinacea Cold And Flu Relief Tablets
Echinacea purpurea root extract 140mg
In this leaflet:
1. About this product and what it is used for.
2. Before you take this product.
3. How to take this product.
4. Possible side effects.
5. How to store this product.
6. Further information.
1. About this product and what it is used for:
This product is a traditional herbal medicinal product containing Echinacea purpurea root extract.
Lifeplan Echinacea Cold & Flu Relief is a traditional herbal medicinal product used to relieve the symptoms associated with the common cold and influenza type infections, based on traditional use only.
2. Before you take this product:
This product is not suitable for children under 12 years of age.
Do not take this product if you are allergic to:
• Echinacea or products from the same plant family: (Asteraceae/Compositae) such as daisies, marigolds or artichokes.
• any of the other ingredients of this product. (See section 6 for further information).
Do not take this product if you:
• are pregnant or breastfeeding
• suffer from frequent allergic reactions such as hives (urticaria), eczema, asthma.
• suffer from the infection: tuberculosis
• suffer from connective tissue disease with formation of clumps of cells (sarcoidosis) mainly occurring in the lymph nodes, lungs and liver.
• suffer from auto-immune diseases such as inflammation of the connective tissue (collagenosis) or multiple sclerosis.
• suffer from conditions which decrease
your natural response to infection (eg HIV infection or AIDS).
Patient Information Leaflet
• are on therapy to reduce your natural response to infection (immunosuppression eg: chemotherapy or radiotherapy for cancer; history of organ or bone marrow transplant).
• suffer from blood disorders involving the white blood cell system such as low white cell count due to bone marrow disorders (agranulocytosis) or blood cell cancer (leukemias).
• are already taking immunosuppressant medication such as ciclosporin or methotrexate.
Take special care with this product:
• if there is a family history of allergic reactions.
• because Echinacea can trigger auto-immune diseases.
• if your condition worsens, or if you get a high fever while using this product, or if symptoms continue for more than 10 days, see your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner.
Taking other medicines:
Please talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking other medicines including any bought without a prescription.
Do not take this product if you are already taking immunosuppressant medication such as ciclosporin or methotrexate.
3. How to take this product:
For oral use only.
Adults, Elderly and Children over 12 years:
Swallow 1 tablet twice daily. Swallow the tablet whole with water. Start at the first signs of a common cold. Do not use for more than 10 days. See your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner if your condition worsens, if you get a high fever while using this product or if symptoms persist for more than 10 days. Stop taking this product immediately if you experience any allergic reaction.
Not suitable for children under the age of 12 years.
Do not exceed stated dose.
If you take too much of this product (overdose):
If you have taken more than you should and feel unwell, talk to a doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner as soon as possible.
If you forget to take this product:
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. Take the next dose when it becomes due.
When you stop taking this product:
If you feel unwell talk to a doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner as soon as possible.
Patient Information Leaflet Continued
4. Possible side effects:
Like all medicines, this product can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The frequency of the side effects is not known.
The possible side effects include:
• Allergic reactions such as swelling, hives or rashes.
• Swelling of the skin due to fluid.
• Swelling of the facial area (Quinke's oedema).
• Shrinking of the airways of the lungs with obstruction (bronchospasm).
• Asthma and life threatening reactions (anaphalactic shock).
Echinacea can trigger allergic reactions in
patients who have a tendency to allergic
Stop taking the product immediately if you
experience any allergic reaction.
Association with auto-immune diseases has been reported such as:
• Inflammation of the brain and spinal cord (disseminated encephalitis).
• Painful lumps on the shins (erythema nodosum).
• Low blood platelet count (immunothrombocytopenia).
• Destruction of blood cells by antibodies (Evans Syndrome).
• Dryness in the mouth and eye with kidney tubular dysfunction (Sjogren Syndrome).
• A decrease in the number of white blood cells (leucopenia) may occur in long term use (more than 8 weeks).
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
6. Further information
Each tablet contains 140mg of extract (as dry extract) from Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench, root (equivalent to 840mg-1120mg of Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench, root). Extraction solvent: Ethanol 75% v/v. It also contains other ingredients: Calcium Hydrogen Phosphate Dihydrate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Croscarmellose Sodium, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Maltodextrin, Silica Colloidal Anhydrous.
Each bottle contains 60 beige to light brown circular tablets.
Manufacturer and Traditional Herbal Registration Holder for this Product:
Lifeplan Products Ltd, Elizabethan Way, Lutterworth, Leicestershire. LE17 4ND.
Traditional Herbal Registration Number:
If you would like further information or would like an alternative format of this leaflet, please contact:
Lifeplan Products Ltd, Elizabethan Way, Lutterworth, Leicestershire, LE17 4ND, United Kingdom.
Telephone +44 (0) 1455 556281 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This leaflet was last revised in September 2015 5. How to store this product
Do not use your tablets after the expiry date which is shown on the bottle label after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Return any out of date tablets to your pharmacist who will dispose of them.
Keep the tablets out of the sight and reach of children. Store in the original package.
Do not store above 25°C.
Keep the bottle tightly closed.