Napiers Elixir Of Echinacea ComplexOut of date information, search another
If you miss a dose, take your next dose at the usual time. Do not take two doses at the same time to make up for a missed dose. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist if you need further advice.
Like all medicines this product can cause side effects, but not everyone gets them.
If any of the following or other side effects occur, including allergic reactions, stop taking this product and consult your doctor or pharmacist:
• allergic reactions e.g. rash, hives, swelling of the skin due to fluid, swelling of the facial area (Quincke's oedema)
• shrinking of the airways in the lungs (bronchospasm)
• asthma and life-threatening reactions (anaphylactic shock).
Association with autoimmune diseases have been reported such as: inflammation of the brain and spinal cord, painful lumps on the shins, low blood platelet count, destruction of blood cells by antibodies (Evans Syndrome), dryness of the mouth and eyes with renal tubular dysfunction (Sjorgen syndrome).
A decrease in the number of white blood cells (Leucopenia) may occur in long-term use (more than 8 weeks).
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not use Potter's Elixir of Echinacea Plus after the expiry date. The expiry date is printed on the label and base of the carton. Do not store above 25°C. Store in the original packaging.
Return any unused medicine to your pharmacist for safe disposal.
Each 5ml of oral liguid contains:
0.64ml Liguid Extract Echinaceaangustifolia (Echinaceaangustifolia (D.C.)) (1:1) (eguivalent to 0.64gm Echinacea angustifolia root) Extraction solvent: Ethanol 45% v/v
0.175ml Liguid Extract Wild Indigo (Baptisia tinctoria R.Br.) (1:1) (eguivalent to 0.175gm Wild Indigo root)
Extraction solvent: Ethanol 60% v/v 0.16ml Liguid Extract Fumitory (Eumaria officinalis L.) (1:1) (eguivalent to 0.16gm Fumitory herb)
Extraction solvent: Water.
Ethanol, Anise Oil, Coriander Oil, Lemon Oil, Orange Oil, Elixir Saccharin (saccharin sodium, water, 90% ethanol), Colour Solution (caramel, glycerin, 90% ethanol, water), Glycerin, Fluid Extract Glycyrrhizae Special (water, glucose liguid, caramel, 90% ethanol, liguorice liguid extract, sorbitol), Syrup (sucrose), Water. Potter's Elixir of Echinacea Plus is a dark brown liguid and is available in a 135ml bottle. Traditional Herbal Registration Holder and Manufacturer:
Potters, Wigan WN5 0JZ
Traditional Herbal Registration number:
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
EXTRACTS OF ECHINACEA (Echinacea angustifoiia), WILD INDIGO & FUMITORY
PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE
You can help make medicines safer by reporting any side effects to the Yellow Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard Alternatively you can get a paper Yellow Card form from your doctors surgery or a pharmacy, or call freephone 0808100 3352 (available 10am - 2pm, Monday to Friday).
For further information, call 01202 449752 If you would like a version of this leaflet in an alternative format, please call 01942 219960 Product code: ECH30LEA1 Leaflet last revised: 01/2012
POTTER'S HERBAL REMEDIES SINCE 1812
This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to take Potter's Elixir of Echinacea Plus carefully to get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet, you may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
• You must contact a doctor or pharmacist if your symptoms worsen or do not improve after 10 days.
• If you experience any of the side effects listed in the leaflet, or if you notice any other side effects, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
is and what it is used for
2. Before you take Potter's Elixir of Echinacea Plus
4. Possible side effects
6. Further information
Potter's Elixir of Echinacea Plus is a traditional herbal medicinal product used to relieve the symptoms of the common cold and flu type infections and minor skin conditions, based on traditional use only. Containing extracts of Echinacea (Echinacea angustifolia),WM Indigo and Fumitory.
For full details, see Section 6.
Do not take Potter's Elixir of Echinacea Plus:
• if you are allergic to any of the ingredients or other plants of the Asteraceae/Compositae family e.g. daisy, artichokes or marigolds
• if you suffer from: freguent allergic reactions such as hives, eczema, asthma: tuberculosis: sarcoidosis: auto immune diseases e.g. collagenosis, multiple sclerosis: conditions which decrease your resistance to infection e.g. HIV infection or AIDS: white blood cell disorders e.g. agranulocytosis, leukemia
• if you are on therapy to reduce natural response to infection (e.g. chemotherapy, radiotherapy, history of organ or bone marrow transplant)
• if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
• if you are under 12 years of age
• if you are taking medicines known to interact with alcohol e.g. metronidazole or immunosuppressant medications such as dclosporin and methotrexate.
Consult your doctor:
• if there is a family history of allergic reactions.
Taking other medicines:
Please ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines including medicines obtained without a prescription. Pregnancy and breastfeeding:
You should not use Potter's Elixir of Echinacea Plus if you are pregnant or breastfeeding because there is no evidence that it is safe to do so.
Driving and using machines:
This product contains Ethanol (alcohol) and therefore it is advised that you do not take this medicine if you are going to drive or use machinery.
Important information about some of the ingredients in Potter's Elixir of Echinacea Plus:
This product contains Sucrose (syrup). Glucose and Sorbitol. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
This product also contains 19% v/v Ethanol (alcohol), i.e. up to 760mg per dose, eguivalent to 19ml beer and 7.9ml wine per dose. It may be harmful for those suffering from alcoholism and high-risk groups such as pregnant or breastfeeding women, children and patients with liver disease or epilepsy.
It is important that you follow these instructions carefully.
Shake the bottle well before use.
Start at first signs of common cold.
For oral use: Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years:
One 5ml teaspoonful three times a day.
The use in children under 12 years is not recommended.
Do not exceed the stated dose.
Do not use this product for more than 10 days.
If your condition worsens, symptoms persist for longer than 10 days or you get a high fever, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
If you take too much Potter's Elixir of Echinacea Plus:
Stop taking the medicine and consult your doctor or pharmacist.