Natures Best Echinacea Cold & Flu Relief Tablets
LH3594 Echinacea leaflet AW_Layout 1 01/12/2011
Patient Information Leaflet
Please read this information carefully before you start taking these tablets. It contains some important information about this product. Keep this leaflet with the tablets. You may want to read it again or show it to your doctor, pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner.
1. What this product is and what it is used for
2. Before you take this product
3. How to take this product
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store this product
6. Further information
This product is a traditional herbal medicinal product containing Echinacea purpurea root extract. Lamberts® Echinacea Cold and Flu Relief Tablets is a traditional herbal medicinal product used to relieve the symptoms of the common cold and influenza type infections. This is based on traditional use only.
2. Before you take this product Do not take this product if you:
• Are pregnant or breastfeeding
• Are allergic to any of the ingredients (see section 6) or to Echinacea or any other members of the Asteraceae/Compositae family such as daisies, marigolds or artichokes
• Are under the age of 12 years
• Suffer from allergic reactions such as hives, eczema or asthma
• Suffer from the infection tuberculosis
• Suffer from connective tissue disease with formation of clumps of cells (sarcoidosis), mainly occurring in the lymph nodes, lungs or liver
• Suffer from autoimmune diseases such as inflammation of the connective tissue (collagenoses), or multiple sclerosis
• Suffer from diseases which decrease your resistance to infection (eg HIV or AIDS)
• Are undergoing therapy to decrease your natural response to infection eg chemotherapy or radiotherapy for cancer; history of organ or bone marrow transplant
• Suffer from blood disorders involving the white blood cell system such as low white blood cell count due to bone marrow disorders (agranulocytosis) or blood cell cancers (leukaemia)
• Are taking any immunosuppressant medication such as ciclosporin or methotrexate.
Take special care with this product:
• If there is a family history of allergic reactions to Echinacea, as it may trigger an autoimmune response.
Taking other medicines:
Tell your doctor, pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner if you are taking any other medicines, including any obtained without a prescription.
Start at the first signs of a common cold.
Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years:
Take 1 tablet twice a day.
Swallow the tablets whole with some water or other liquid. Do not chew.
Do not take this product for more than 10 days. If symptoms worsen or persist for more than ten days or you get a high fever, consult your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner.
Do not exceed the stated dose.
If you take too much of this product (overdose)
If you take more than the recommended dose, speak to a doctor, pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner and take this leaflet with you.
If you forget to take this product
Continue to take your usual dose at the usual time,
it does not matter if you have missed a dose.
LH3594 Echinacea leaflet AW_Layout 1 01/12/2011
Like all medicines, this product can have side-effects. The frequency of side-effects is not known. These are listed below:
• Allergic skin reactions like hives, rashes or swelling
• Swelling of the facial area (Quincke’s Oedema)
• Swelling of the skin due to fluid
• Shrinking of the airways in the lungs with obstruction (bronchospasm)
• Asthma and life threatening allergic reactions (anaphylactic shock)
Echinacea can trigger allergic reactions in people with a tendency to develop allergic conditions. Stop taking this product immediately if you experience any allergic reaction.
Association with autoimmune diseases has been reported such as:
• Inflammation of the brain and spinal cord (disseminated encephalitis)
• Painful lumps on the shins (erythema nodosum)
Low blood platelet count (immunothrombocytopenia)
Destruction of blood cells by antibodies (Evans syndrome)
Dryness in the mouth and eyes with renal tubular dysfunction (Sjorgen’s syndrome)
A decrease in the number of white blood cells (leucopenia) may occur in long term use (greater than 8 weeks).
If you are concerned about any side effect or if you experience any side effect not listed above, consult your doctor, pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner.
You can help to make medicines safer by reporting any side effects to the Yellow Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. Alternatively you can get a paper Yellow Card form from your GP’s surgery or pharmacy, or call free phone 0808 100 3352 (available 10am-2pm Monday- Friday).
Keep the tablets out of the sight and reach of children. Keep your tablet in the packaging until it is time to take them.
Do not store above 25°C.
Do not use Lamberts® Echinacea Cold and Flu Relief Tablets after the expiry date which is stated on the box and blister pack. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. Return any out of date tablets to your pharmacist who will dispose of them for you.
Each film-coated tablet contains 105mg of extract (as dry extract) from Echinacea purpurea root (equivalent to 630mg-840mg of Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench, root). Extraction Solvent Ethanol 75% v/v
This product also contains the following ingredients:
Excipients in the Extract - Maltodextrin, Colloidal Anhydrous Silica.
Tablet Core - Maltodextrin, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Sodium Croscarmellose, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Colloidal Anhydrous Silica.
Tablet Coating - Hypromellose, Glycerol.
Each pack contains 30, 60 or 90 film coated tablets. Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Traditional herbal registration holder for this product:
Lamberts Healthcare Ltd, 1 Lamberts Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN2 3EH.
Manufacturer of this product: Thompson & Capper Ltd, Hardwick Road, Astmoor, Runcorn, Cheshire WA7 1PH.
Traditional Herbal Registration Number: THR 34425/0002
If you would like further information about this product or would like a large print, Braille or audio version of this leaflet please contact: Lamberts Healthcare Ltd., 1 Lamberts Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN2 3EH. Tel: 01892 554312.
This leaflet was updated in November 2011. LK42