Sandersons Throat Specific Mixture
PACKAGE LEAFLET: INFORMATION FOR THE USER
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start taking this medicine because it contains important information for you.
Always take this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
• If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. See section 4.
• You must talk to a doctor if you do not feel better after 7 days or if you feel worse.
What is in this leaflet:
1. What Sanderson's Mixture is and what it is used for
2. What you need to know before you take Sanderson's Mixture
3. How to take Sanderson's Mixture
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Sanderson's Mixture
6. Further information
The name of your medicine is Sanderson's Throat Specific Mixture, referred to as Sanderson's Mixture throughout this leaflet. It contains capsicum tincture, acetic acid and extracts of squill and quassia wood, and helps to relieve or prevent the symptoms of sore throat, hoarseness, loss of voice and catarrh.
Other medicines and Sanderson's Mixture
Talk to your pharmacist or doctor before taking Sanderson's Mixture if you are taking:
• digoxin or any medicine for a heart condition
• any medicine that may interact with alcohol e.g. metronidazole
Tell your pharmacist or doctor if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines, including those obtained without a prescription.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using this medicine if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding.
Driving and using machines
Sanderson's Mixture contains alcohol, but the amount is unlikely to cause drowsiness or affect your ability to drive and use machines. However please ensure that you are not affected before you drive or operate machinery.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Sanderson's Mixture
This medicinal product contains small amounts of alcohol, less than 100 mg per 5 ml dose.
Do not use Sanderson's Mixture if you:
• are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of the ingredients of Sanderson's Mixture (listed in section 6)
• have breathing difficulties
• have raised pressure in your head
• have any type of heart complaint, liver or kidney problems
• are an alcoholic
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if you have or develop:
• a fever
• yellow, green or brown sputum (phlegm)
This product has a sharp biting taste.
Always use this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
This medicine is to be used as a gargle or taken by mouth.
Do not take more than the amount recommended below.
Do not give this medicine to children under 8 years of age.
Do not use for more than 7 consecutive days. If symptoms worsen or persist beyond 7 days, consult your doctor.
Shake the bottle before use. A slight deposit sometimes appears on standing. This will disappear on shaking.
Adults and children over 8 years:
SORE THROAT, HOARSENESS, LOSS OF VOICE & CATARRH:
Gargle with 10 ml (2 x 5 ml spoonfuls) mixed with an equal amount of water, then spit out, every hour. Also swallow slowly 1 x 5 ml spoonful undiluted, 3 times daily.
AS A PREVENTATIVE GARGLE:
If symptoms of sore throat, hoarseness, loss of voice or cattarrh are expected to appear, gargle with 10 ml (2 x 5 ml spoonfuls) in 20 ml of water, then spit out, in the morning before breakfast, and last thing at night.
If you take more Sanderson's Mixture than you should: see a doctor straight away. Take the bottle with you.
If you forget to take Sanderson's Mixture: take it as soon as you remember unless it is almost time for your next dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Like all medicines, Sanderson's Mixture can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Possible side effects are:
• allergic reactions (such as skin rash or shortness of breath)
• stomach irritation
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help to protect the environment.
What Sanderson's Mixture contains:
The active ingredients - Each 5ml contains:
• 0.025 ml of Capsicum Tincture (Capsicum annuum L. var. minimum (Miller) Heiser), corresponding to 7.5 to 12.5 micrograms capsaicinoids calculated as capsaicin. Extraction solvent: ethanol 90% v/v.
• 0.025 ml of extract (as liquid extract) from Squill bulb (Drimia maritima (L.) Stearn) (1:1). Extraction solvent: ethanol 65% v/v.
• 0.0078 ml of extract (as liquid extract) from Quassia wood (Picrasma excelsa (Sw.) Planch.) (1:1). Extraction solvent: water.
• 37.5 mg Acetic acid.
The other ingredients are benzoic acid, caramel, ethanol 96% (alcohol), water, saccharin sodium.
What Sanderson's Mixture looks like and contents of the pack:
Sanderson's Mixture is a pale brown clear liquid with an aromatic odour, available in bottles of 100 ml and 200 ml. Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Marketing Authorisation holder:
Infohealth Laboratories Ltd, 28 Chipstead Valley Road, Coulsdon, Surrey, CR5 2RA, UK.
Thorpe Laboratories Ltd, Enterprise Road, Golf Road Industrial Estate, Mablethorpe, Lincolnshire, LN12 1NB, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in May 2015
'Sanderson's Throat Specific' is a registered trade mark.
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• Store in a cool place.
Do not use Sanderson's Mixture after the expiry date shown on the pack. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.