Tamfrex Xl 400 Microgram Capsules
Pharmacode position may change as per Supplier's m/c requirement &additional small pharma code may appear on the front / back panel
PACKAGE LEAFLET: INFORMATION FOR THE USER
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start taking this medicine because it contains important information for you.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- This medicine has been prescribed for you only. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them, even if their signs of
illness are the same as yours.
- If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. See section 4
1. What TAMFREX XL is and what it is used for
2. What you need to know before you take TAMFREX XL
3. How to take TAMFREX XL
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store TAMFREX XL
6. Contents of the pack and other information
The active ingredient in TAMFREX XL is tamsulosin. This is a selective alpha1A/1D-adrenoceptor antagonist. It reduces tension of the smooth muscles in the prostate and the urethra, enabling urine to pass more readily through the urethra and facilitating urination. In addition, it diminishes sensations of urge.
TAMFREX XL is used in men for the treatment of the complaints of the lower urinary tract associated with an enlarged prostatic gland (benign prostatic hyperplasia). These complaints may include difficulty urinating (poor stream), dribbling, urgency and having to urinate frequently at night as well as during the day.
Do not take TAMFREX XL
• if you are allergic to tamsulosin hydrochloride or any of the other ingredients in TAMFREX XL (listed in section 6). Hypersensitivity may present as sudden local swelling of soft tissues of the body (e.g. the throat or tongue), difficult breathing and/or itching and rash (angioedema)
• if you suffer from severe liver problems,
• if you suffer from fainting due to reduced blood pressure when changing posture (going to sit or stand up).
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking TAMFREX XL.
• Periodic medical examinations are necessary to monitor the development of the condition you are being treated for.
• Rarely, fainting can occur during the use of tamsulosin, as with other medicinal products of this type. At the first signs of dizziness or weakness you should sit or lie down until they have disappeared.
• if you from severe kidney problems, tell your doctor
• if you are undergoing or have been scheduled for eye surgery because of cloudiness of the lens (cataract). Please inform your eye specialist that you have previously used, are planning to use TAMFREX XL. The specialist can then take appropriate precautions with respect to medication and surgical techniques to be used. Ask your doctor whether or not you should postpone or temporarily stop taking this medicine when undergoing eye surgery because of a cloudy lens.
Do not give this medicine to children or adolescent under 18 years
because it does not work in this population.
Taking TAMFREX XL together with other medicines from the same class (alpha1-adrenoceptor blockers) may cause an unwanted decrease in blood pressure.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines.
It is especially important to inform your doctor if you are being treated at the same time with medicines that may decrease the removal of TAMFREX XL from the body (for example, ketoconazole, erythromycin).
Take your medicine after the first meal of the day. Taking your medicine on an empty stomach may increase the number and severity of side effects.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
This section is not relevant, because TAMFREX XL is intended for male patients only.
Ejaculation disorders have been observed in short and long term clinical studies with tamsulosin. Events of ejaculation disorder, retrograde ejaculation and ejaculation failure have been reported in the post authorization phase.
Driving and using machines
There is no evidence that tamsulosin affects the ability to drive or to operate machinery. However, you should bear in mind dizziness can occur, in which case you should not undertake in these activities that requires attentiveness.
Always take TAMFREX XL exactly as your doctor has told you to. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
• the usual dose is one capsule (0.4 mg of tamsulosin hydrochloride) a day, after the first meal of the day
• the capsule should be taken whilst standing or sitting upright (not lying down) and should be swallowed whole with a glass of water
• the capsule must not be chewed
• the dose does not need to be adjusted for the elderly
Your doctor has prescribed a suitable dose for you and your illness, and has specified the duration of the treatment.
You should not change the dose without speaking to your doctor first.
If you have the impression that the effect of your medicine is too strong or too weak, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
If you take more TAMFREX XL than you should
Taking too many TAMFREX XL may lead to an unwanted decrease in blood pressure and an increase in heart rate, with feelings of faintness. Contact your doctor immediately if you have taken too much TAMFREX XL.
If you forget to take TAMFREX XL
You may take your daily TAMFREX XL later the same day if you have forgotten to take it as recommended. If you have missed a day, just continue to take your daily capsule as prescribed. Never take a double dose to make up for the forgotten dose.
If you stop taking TAMFREX XL
When treatment with TAMFREX XL is stopped prematurely, your original complaints may return. Therefore use TAMFREX XL as long as your doctor prescribes, even if your complaints have disappeared already. Always consult your doctor, if you consider stopping this therapy.
If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Stop taking your medicine and seek medical help immediately,
if you have any of the following allergic reactions:
• Difficulties in breathing
• Swollen face, tongue or throat (angioedema)
• Itch and rash
Common (affects 1 to 10 users in 100):
• Dizziness, particularly when going to sit or stand up.
• Abnormal ejaculation. This means that semen does not leave the body via the urethra, but instead goes into the bladder. This phenomenon is harmless.
• Ejaculation failure
• Retrograde ejaculation
Uncommon (affects 1 to 10 users in 1,000):
• palpitations (the heart beats more rapidly than normal and it is also noticeable)
• reduced blood pressure e.g. when getting up quickly from a seating or lying position sometimes associated with dizziness
• runny or blocked nose (rhinitis)
• feeling sick and vomiting
• weakness (asthenia)
• itching and hives (urticaria).
Rare (affects 1 to 10 users in 10,000):
• faintness and sudden local swelling of the soft tissues of the body (e.g. the throat or tongue)
• difficult breathing and/or itching and rash, often as an allergic reaction (angioedema)
Very rare (affects less than 1 user in 10,000):
• priapism (painful prolonged unwanted erection for which immediate medical treatment is required)
• Rash, inflammation and blistering of the skin and/ or mucous membranes of the lips, eyes, mouth, nasal passages or genitals (Stevens- Johnson syndrome)
• Abnormal irregular heart rhythm (atrial fibrillation, arrhythmia, tachycardia), difficulty breathing (dyspnoea).
Not known (cannot be estimated from the available data):
• Visual disturbances and blurred vision
• Nose bleeding
• Dry mouth
• Skin rash, which may blister, and looks like small targets (central dark spots surrounded by a paler area, with a dark ring around the edge) called erythema multiforme
• Widespread red skin rash with small pus-containing blisters (buloous exfoliative dermatitis)
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly (see details below). By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
The United Kingdom
Yellow Card Scheme
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
This medicinal product does not require any special temperature storage conditions.
Store in the original package in order to protect from moisture.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton or bottle after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of the month.
Do not throw away any medicine via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines no longer use. These measures will help to protect the environment.
The active substance is tamsulosin hydrochloride.
Each prolonged-release capsule hard contains 0.4 mg of tamsulosin hydrochloride.
- The other ingredients are
Capsule content: Cellulose microcrystalline, talc, methacrylic acid-ethyl acrylate copolymer, sodium lauryl sulfate, polysorbate 80, triacetin and calcium stearate.
Capsule shell: Indigo carmine (E 132), iron oxide red (E172), iron oxide yellow (E172), titanium dioxide (E171), sodium lauryl sulfate, gelatin.
Printing Ink: Shellac, propylene glycol, black iron oxide (E172), potassium hydroxide.
What TAMFREX XL looks like and contents of the pack
Prolonged-release capsules, hard
Olive green opaque/Orange opaque size ‘1EL’ hard gelatin capsules imprinted with ‘D’ on cap and ‘53’ on body with black edible ink. The capsules are filled with white to off-white beadlets.
TAMFREX XL 400 microgram capsules are available in: PVC/PE/PVDC blister pack: 1,2, 4, 7, 10, 14, 15, 20, 28, 30, 50,
56, 60, 90, 98, 100 & 200 hard, capsules.
White opaque round HDPE bottle with white opaque polypropylene closure: 10 & 250 hard, capsules.
Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Marketing Authorisation Holder
Ares, Odyssey Business Park
West End Road
South Ruislip HA4 6QD
APL Swift Services (Malta) Limited HF26, Hal Far Industrial Estate, Hal Far Birzebbugia, BBG 3000 Malta or
Milpharm Limited Ares, Odyssey Business Park West End Road South Ruislip HA4 6QD United Kingdom